The Narungga Aborigines inhabited the area prior to white settlement.
The town was laid out by Adelaide solicitor L.M. Cullen in 1877, originally known as Surveyor’s Point. In its early days it was a port exporting wheat, barley, wool and mallee stumps (firewood). From the first settlement in 1852 until 1877, coastal trading ketches
would beach at high tide, and unload directly to farm wagons at low tide. A jetty was built into the bay in 1877, construction of a wharf began in 1901, and the original jetty was removed in 1918. Port Vincent was the main entry point for people and goods to and from the Yorke Peninsula until a good road was built from Port Wakefield in around 1949. Three major fuel companies had storage and distribution depots in the town, supplied by boat or barge from Port Adelaide.
Courtesy of Wikipedia.